64 leaves Highway 95 at Craigmont and goes to Nezperce.
Mid-way between the two towns is the turn-off to Central Ridge at the
site of the old Mohler store. The
Central Ridge Cemetery is located eight miles north on the main Central
Ridge Road. The cemetery lies
on the right side of the road on an acre of land donated by an early
settler, William W. (Bill) Simmons.
cemetery records have been kept by the Melcum family. The cemetery is not part of a cemetery district, so the
upkeep has been left to family and friends.
Early in its history the small sum paid for lots was used for a fence
to surround the cemetery.
first burial was in 1898, and the last in 2000. Many of the graves have no stones, which makes their
identification difficult. With
the passage of time fewer descendants of those who lie buried tend the
gravesites. The town of Steel
about a mile north of the cemetery and most of the families who settled
Central Ridge are gone. The
cemetery remains as a part of those earlier times.
For more information, please contact the Ilo-Vollmer
Historical Society, Box 61, Craigmont, Idaho 83523 or Shelley Kuther, email@example.com
208-790-7890 or Byron Bovey, firstname.lastname@example.org